Monday, July 19, 2010

musica-101

Music holds such a place in my soul! I don't know if everyone feels that way, but it just does something to me (hence why I absolutely believe God is still working on my singing/instrument talents! All good things come with age)

I remember my first "OUR" song! Amazed, by Lonestar because it was the first time he said "I love you and this song makes me think of you" (ahhh cute! tear)

My favorite summer was the whole Beatie Boys, License to Ill CD. My BFF and I would drive around our hoppin little po-dunk town jamming to that CD all the while blowing the speakers in my car (because we were cool like that and about the be seniors, duh).

Getting my first job, a lifeguard and swim instructor at the YMCA, Fugee's Killing me Softly was playing in the background (I almost think it is weird I remember this but uh, hello! I was so exited about the tan I was fixing to get).

Sarah McLachlan's "I will Remember You" will always burn the falling of Bonfire at A&M into a very sad time.

My new obsession is Shinedown. First and foremost because he sings "Simple Man" better than Lynard Skynard (shhhh...don't tell I betrayed, Lynard *** Skynard!) He has this voice and although it appears most his music is written about an addiction to drugs and his struggles and loss, I find his stuff so pretty. I'm crazy like that.

And through the MANY a songs not listed here...I still cry every time I hear Amazed or crank my stereo up for some Beastie Boys, that without most likely wouldn't be an embeded memory.

The latest song that has become a part of life is "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri (conveniently sister of ex-shinedown member). Sometimes I get a lot sappy! This song really does hold a place in my life right now. Several of my friends and myself are all going thru a time where it seems what we thought would "be" now merely seem to be more of the rise of playing with hearts. I have always been a believer in complete honesty in how I am feeling. I don't like to be controlled or told what to do and I usually don't date this type of person...but I also loathe and hate liars or people who tend to mess with your heart and head. So this song is perfect. www.myspace.com/christinaperri
sample corus:
Who do you think you are,
running around leaving scars,
collecting your jars of hearts,
and tearing love apart.
You're gonna catch a cold,
from the ice inside your soul,
so don't come back for me,
don't come back at all.

Sad isn't it? someone could be that open in music because I don't think that lyrics are able without a reason. Someone wrote these lyrics from being broken. Just like lyrics are written for the sappy, the funny, the whatever. I believe every song (ok, not every song) has a rhyme or reason for it's existance. Lost love, breaking heart, falling in love, seeing a beautiful sight, experiencing an overwhelming moment, etc.

Just in case you're wondering: Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, Incubus, Kate Voegelle, Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty), Adele, Daughtry, Dixie Chicks (even post outburst), and a lot more are some of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment