Thursday, June 17, 2010

Black Eye...the ambien effect

So I don't sleep that awesome. My fantastic doctor started prescribing me Lunesta years ago and it was the best thing since sliced bread! She told me, "take this after you get in bed! It will knock you out pretty fast!" and indeed it always did, not quite that fast. I would take it from my bathroom and never had problems hitting the ground before I could make it the 15 steps to my bed.

Although I was in love with Lunesta a little thing called insurance happened and well get real! I cannot spend $140 a month just to get to sleep, so the doctor re-prescribed me generic ambien! Better yet, he prescribed me 10mg! So for $11.81 I can cut those babies in half and have 2 months worth of beautiful sleep (cause you know I didn't get this pretty without my 8 hours!)

Generic Ambien works a little like Lunesta, gets me all groggy pretty fast, but again can walk from the bathroom to my bed no problemo!

A couple months ago I decided I wanted to get myself "off" ambien and see if I could do this sleep thing alone. SO, instead of cutting these little happy pills in half...I quarter them! That's right 2.5mg (now we're really talking money saver when instead of lasting 2 months they last 4!)

Again...easily make it from the bathroom to the bed, usually have a good 20 minutes for these tiny little things to kick in. Just enough time to settle in bed, read a good chapter or two, let my mind cease of all its wonderings and pass into slumberland.

What no fool has yet to tell me was STAY IN BED! So last night I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (which really isn't all that random). I got up about 2 am headed for the bathroom, took care of business, and KAPOW! I mean, my center of gravity and all was jacked up if I didn't run smack into the bathroom door with my face! I can see at night in my room (the bat cave has holes, but that is another story) so it wasn't a dark issue.

If I ever wake to go potty in the middle of the night it is more like 5:30 or 6, you know right before you have to get up. But man somewhere between pass out and 2 am that medicine kicks in like a mo! (which conveniently is exactly what I yelled as my face smashed into the door...with much more gusto and a nice litte explicit to go with it!)

So as I got back in bed I pouted thinking about what my face might look like in the morning, because I do not turn on lights in the middle of the night and ruin even more sleep patterns. This morning I looked in the mirror and happily noticed that door had nothing on my face, except a tiny little bruise on my brow...which my over dramatic self proclaims "black eye".

Moral of the story is if you don't know how to use make-up...don't ambien and walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment